Exercise is one of the most important components of staying healthy. However, many seniors find themselves able to do fewer physical activities; frustration leads to less activity, more health issues, and sometimes immobility. Stay active, stay healthy!
There are dozens of exercise options for seniors, many of which are non-traditional and low-impact, which limits the stress on the body and risk of injury. Find an activity that is interesting and engaging and it will feel less like work and more like fun!
6 Great Exercise Options
- Dancing: Dancing helps improve gait and balance and could help prevent dangerous injuries from falls. Dancing has cardiovascular benefits, improves coordination and balance, and lets you meet others who enjoy similar activities.
- Yoga or martial arts: Participating in low-impact exercise classes, such as tai chi or yoga, can help improve strength, balance, and coordination and reduce stress.
- Golfing: Golf is a great game for those who want to get back to nature in a fun way.
- Swimming: There are very few things that are healthier and more low-impact than a relaxing dip in the pool. And you don’t have to just swim laps; water aerobics and aqua jogging are great for low-impact exercise and socialization.Swimming: There are very few things that are healthier and more low-impact than a relaxing dip in the pool. And you don’t have to just swim laps; water aerobics and aqua jogging are great for low-impact exercise and socialization.
- Gardening: If you love to garden, but your joints scream from all that bending, you can still get your green-thumb fun by creating a garden of raised pots and containers on your deck or patio. Raising tomatoes or herbs in pots can be a nice mixture of fun and a great way of creating a healthy meal.
- Window shopping: Walking is a good option… and the local mall makes for a perfect place for a variety of great walking opportunities in one convenient location. Walking in an air-conditioned mall provides a cooler environment, keeps you out of the weather, and also provides a safe environment. Many malls open their doors early in the morning before the stores open specifically for mall walkers.
Source – 1st CHOICE Advisory.